From Birth Until Age 85, You Have 750,000 Hours - How Will You Spend Them?

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Party Weekend in the North




The trip home has been a good chance to get together with family and friends who we haven't seen in a while, in other words, a great excuse for a party! This weekend we had two, one for friends and one for family.

Friday night we had 10 people over for a Spanish night with Paella and lots (and lots) of Rioja. It was great to catch up with some folks we've met through and who have become part of our lives since I came to the UK and for Steve, even before that. Steve Moore (who worked for me when I first came to the UK and then worked for Steve at HMPS) and Karen, Ann Taylor (who worked for Steve and then worked with me at BAA), Sharon Milligan (an up and comer who did a lot of work for me at BAA) and Julie (Steve's sister), Steve's son Chris, Jess and Matt. Steve got out the square table which sat 10 very comfortably (and is the best for great conversations) and we had the best time! Non-stop talking from the moment people walked in the door, travel tales, general techno-geek discussion, along with life, philosophies and goals until 2 a.m!

After a rather slow morning (and a nice catch-up with Sharon), it was time to get into gear for Saturday's Italian themed party with the Hodgson clan. The menu for this one - Italian Hunter's Stew (a wine-based chicken cacciatore), my special lasagna, Panzanella and for desert, homemade Tiramisu. We had 14 at the table and managed to ensure that no one left hungry!

On Sunday, Stevie Special Bacon Butties started a perfect day of lounging around and doing nothing. No, I take that back. I started and restarted (and restarted and...) the sweater I am knitting. After ten (yes, ten!) attempts and some help from Jess (You're doing that wrong, Mom!) I finally threw out the first pattern and had my memory refreshed as to how to knit and purl (Thank you, Jess!).


And just to top off the weekend of foodie-ness, Jess made her famous roasted lamb with roasted potatoes for Sunday lunch! I love weekends like this with lots of good company, good conversation and good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment