From Birth Until Age 85, You Have 750,000 Hours - How Will You Spend Them?

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Up Hills and Everything!

Yesterday was a gorgeous, sunny, warm and not rainy day so we took the
tandem out for a tour around the Ribble Valley. We're starting our
'training' for our bike trip to France in September. Steve has just
informed me that one day we will be pedalling 53 miles! Now on a tandem
bike, there is no 'get out clause'. I cannot get tired and call a taxi,
it's just too big to fit so I have to be able to do the mileage!

We headed off from our house and stopped to pick up a few things at the shop
for lunch. This is what we'll be doing on the trip so we wanted to test it
out. We now know that we need a Swiss Army knife or somesuch for cheese and
opening things and that we cannot forget napkins. Also we need a lunch
container that doesn't get mooshed when strapped to the bike with bungie
cords.

Immediately after the shop, we headed uphill. Unlike biking in Florida
which is all flat for miles, the Northwest of England is loaded with hills.
As a matter of fact, if you're not going down a hill, then you're going up
one! And hills have never been my thing. On the tandem, hills are better -
and that's not because Steve does all the pedalling! It's not so easy to
'opt out' mid way up, but there's the sense of being in it together - plus
Steve understands what gears to use to make it easier. It's very funny,
there's one gear that's so low, people walking pass us!

We did 17 miles. Now for the bicyclists in the audience, that's baby stuff,
but for me it was amazing! I've never done more than 3 or 4 miles and I
didn't like that much (actually my idea of exercise has always been turning
the pages of a book!). It was beautiful riding along the country lanes,
past the hedge rows and coming up over the top of a hill and seeing the
patchwork quilt of the valley before us.

After yesterday, I think I can do this except for one thing - 'bicycle
backside'. I thought with the padding I have on my backside plus padded
shorts, spending time on the seat of a bike wouldn't be a problem - not so!
Those 'backside bones' immediately found a direct connection with the bike
seat and proceeded to grind, bounce and bruise over every inch of those 17
miles. My legs were fine and wanted to continue. My lungs were fine and
ready to go. Not so the backside! Steve says it's one of those things that
you just have to keep going and after 6 weeks (WEEKS!!!) or so it will be
fine. Oh goodie...

Other than that and the silly hats, it's great fun!

1 comment:

  1. 6 weeks of bicycle backside? nah! I used to ride my bike almost every day in the summer and if it was six weeks to get tough, summer would be over!!!! Your butt will be tough in a week or two of regular riding... LOL (Hot tubs help break up bruises, I hear...)

    ReplyDelete