From Birth Until Age 85, You Have 750,000 Hours - How Will You Spend Them?

Monday, October 27, 2008

Major Life Change (Again)

In thinking and talking about this change we are about to embark on, I've
realised that this isn't the first for us. Although folks who know us know
we tend to operate in a constant state of change, both at work and at home.
At work, well, we do major change programmes and when the change is gone, we
move on. At home, different hotels during the week and different places on
the weekends. Holidays almost always in different places. The saying that
change is a constant rings true for us.

Comfort with different levels of change varies by individual. For me the
above is what I would consider constant, but low level change. In Six Sigma
terms it would be called common cause variation, a certain level of constant
variation which occurs within the system (of our lives). What we are about
to experience, I would call special cause variation or a significant,
unusual level of variation caused by a significant occurrance within the
system - we're about to toss our consistent, fairly predictable (albeit
constantly changing) lives up into the air. We've finished jobs, rented out
property and are moving to a sailboat - if that's not a major life change, I
don't know what is!

But, in thinking about this, it isn't the first time either one of us has
done this. In 1993, I started a home business, sold the house in Maine and
moved to Clearwater - all worldly goods in a U-Haul and no home lined up.
Left the States in 2002, with Jess (it was her idea, by the way) and moved
to England, not knowing a soul and all worldly goods in 18 2x2 cardboard
boxes - it was the best thing I ever did. Steve has had similar
experiences.

Changing my life (or lifestyle) in a major way has been incredibly positive
and that's why when people ask, "Are you excited?" and, "Are you nervous?" I
can answer both with a big YES! The nerves are mostly from worrying about
forgetting things (like my vitamins sitting on the counter up North (sigh)).
And it is exciting, because I know how great it can be.



And in this economy - bonkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment