From Birth Until Age 85, You Have 750,000 Hours - How Will You Spend Them?

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sticker Shock

It's been about six months since we went grocery shopping in the US. Now I have to admit that when we are here on holiday I'm usually so busy shopping for our 'entourage' that I don't pay as much attention as I should to the prices of grocery items - a bit busier figuring out if I'll have the right food combinations to serve 7(ish) people breakfast, lunch and dinner for the coming week! But I was a bit surprised at the steep hike in food prices when we went to do the stock up for the condo.

I'll have to do a bit more research to see if our perception is correct, but we think prices were up to 25% higher on some items - coffee $9 per pound, bread $5. Granted the coffee was Starbucks and the bread was bakery bread, but, really, bread costs like 50 cents to make! Have prices to produce really gone up this much or is there some 'taking advantage' happening to push costs onto the consumer? I'd like to look at some of these price margins...

No comments:

Post a Comment