From Birth Until Age 85, You Have 750,000 Hours - How Will You Spend Them?

Monday, June 15, 2009

Motto to Live By (Mostly)

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, "WHOO HOO, what a ride!"

Anonymous

I love this quote and actively work to practice what it preaches...but (there's always a 'but', isn't there?!) I want to make sure that my body holds out so that I can have that fantastic ride, rather than a not so fantastic ride in a wheelchair in a nursing home. If I'm going to make the most of the time I'm here, I need to have a body that will stand up to the rigours I'm going to put it to. This is something that I largely ignored over the past 20 years or so while climbing the corporate ladder, but if I don't pay attention now at 46 I might reach the point of no return that so many folks do - it gets too hard and painful to get back in shape, or illnesses / medications interfere. Then one moves into a slow, quiet decline doing less and less each year until the scope of one's world is the walls of a room in a nursing home as the medications keep you alive, but you no longer have a life - I want to fight that off!

And actually I'm discovering that a big part of that, "WHOO HOO, what a ride!" can be about building a body that will serve you well during your 750,000 Hours. Unlike so much of media's / society's common focus on fitness, I'm focusing on experiences that keep me active rather than getting in shape - a subtle difference, but for me an important one. There's a big thrill in screaming down a hill on a tandem bike (they're heavier and therefore faster than a regular bike when going downhill!), sailing in a 20 knot wind, hiking to the top of a hill and seeing the world spread out before you. How about swimming in a turquoise sea while diving for conch or lobsters? When was the last time you went ice skating?

I find the whole fitness, work out in a gym thing INCREDIBLY boring. Some folks love it, but the idea of endless hours on a treadmill walking or running to nowhere, 'follow-the-leader' exercise classes, or having a personal trainer egg me on to just one more sit up makes me want to gag. I've tried all of the above and each has proven to be a waste of time and money. Like I said, some folks love it, but it's not for me - I get bored (not surprising) and don't keep it up (also not surprising).

Besides, where's the WHOO HOO in a gym? I want things that are exciting (and by the way, they give me a fitter body at the same time)! I want to be out enjoying this world that we live in, not shut in another room with no windows after spending all day in a room with no windows (the office). There are lots of ways to keep active (fit) that are interesting, fun and exciting.

Hiking in gorgeous hills, bicycling (try a tandem!) through the beautiful countryside, downhill or cross country skiing, dance (try completing a complicated spin turn, a tango and see if there isn't a big WHOO HOO in there!), a team sport you used to love when you were younger, swimming (and not just laps, zzzzzz!), volleyball on the beach, pulling the ropes on a sailboat as it crashes through the waves. That's my 'starter for ten' - what are your thoughts on exciting activities that keep you active, and fit?

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! There'll be lots of whoo hoos next week when we try out this on our next US summmer hols. Can't wait. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete