From Birth Until Age 85, You Have 750,000 Hours - How Will You Spend Them?

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What Would You Do if You Weren't Afraid?

Fear is probably the biggest reason that we put off living out our dreams. Fear of change, fear of the unknown, fear of failure. What if I quit my job to live out my dreams and I run out of money? What if I don't like it? What will the wife, the husband, the family and friends say? Everyone else is heading in this direction, how could I do something so different?

Fear slows us down, fear stops us, fear keeps us on hold. Are you in a job, relationship or place in life that isn't making you happy, that isn't living out your dreams? What is keeping you there? Oftentimes it's plain old fear.

The way I tackle fear - baby steps! What does that mean? Making little, tiny steps that individually are very easy and cumulatively add up to a force which enables me to overcome my fear. In this case, I ask myself the simple question, "If I wasn't afraid, what would I do?" It's not making any changes or doing anything, except starting to put together a picture of what I would do if I wasn't afraid.

And it's amazing the ideas and dreams that come to light when you set aside the fear (just to explore what you would do without it, of course!). Passions that you've put on hold because the day-to-day has gotten in the way, childhood dreams that still have meaning, things that you've put off 'until you have time'. Once the fear is put to one side, the blinders come off and a picture of life filled with interesting things emerges.

These are just a few of the things we've done once we stopped being afraid.



What would you do, if you weren't afraid?

No comments:

Post a Comment