From Birth Until Age 85, You Have 750,000 Hours - How Will You Spend Them?

Monday, April 6, 2009

A Barren Landscape and Brave Birds

It's a bit windier this morning, which means it's less hot - yes! We like
breeze flowing through the cockpit when the sun is on full blast!

I understand Sue, Mark, Ellie and Louis are on their cruise somewhere in
'our' bit of the ocean, Hi Folks! Hope you have a great time cruising the
Caribbean!

When we checked in yesterday at the Park Headquarters, we spotted the Book
Exchange. The Book Exchange is very important because there are no Borders
or Barnes and Nobles out here, none, nada, so for me to get my book fix I
either pack them in (and we only have so much space on this boat) or I trade
in the ones I've read at the book exchanges we encounter along the way. I
was getting dangerously close to being 'bookless' so needless to say I was
very excited to see two long and well stocked bookshelves! Five books
traded in and five new books for me!

On the porch at HQ, there was a very poised 'boat kid' with birds literally
eating out of her hands. She asked if we'd like to try and I said yes. The
rangers put out sugar for the birds and she put some in the palm of her hand
and they would perch on her fingers while eating the sugar. I tried it and
the birds were very tame and immediately flitted onto my fingers - very
cool!

We went for another walk down one of the island trails. It's really
interesting because as soon as you leave the beach, the island becomes this
rocky, arid, hot bowl. Lots of flora and fauna (particularly lizards), but
not a breeze to be found. The rangers and volunteers have done an excellent
job here. The trails are all well marked, the whole place is immaculate and
there are lots of informational signs about telling you what you're seeing.

Too bouncy for snorkeling today so I had Skyped with Jess, with video!
She's doing great, the house purchase is progressing and this is 'go live'
week for the programme she works on so it is nice and busy! It is amazing
to be anchored next to an island with two buildings on it and have wifi.
Steve's halfway through his first book and I need to get going with mine, I
think. Tomorrow is supposed to be windier still so I think we're staying
put!

No comments:

Post a Comment