From Birth Until Age 85, You Have 750,000 Hours - How Will You Spend Them?

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Making Your Own

Made the mistake of reading What's In This Stuff?: The Hidden Toxins in Everyday Products - and What You Can Do About Them - amazing and slightly (okay, very) scary read when you begin to realise the cumulative contents of all the 'potions' (as Eileen calls them) that we put on every day. If patches on the skin can send medications into one's system in minutes, what can chemicals do?

Anyhow, it made me think about suntan lotion which we slather on all day every day while on the boat, and insect repellent for Steve. After looking through the ingredients (hmm), I wondered whether there were more natural options and after doing some research on the web I came across a website that told you how to (gasp!) make your own. What a radical concept?!! Is it possible to make something really complex like sunscreen all by yourself? Actually, It's a really simple recipe once you take out all the additives / preservatives which make it possible for the suncream to sit on the store shelf for months on end without going rancid. Simple and once you have the ingredients to hand it doesn't take very long to make. I have also found simple ways to make beauty products such as moisturiser, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc., and food products like mayo, butter, seasonings, French onion soup mix - the list goes on and on. It's really helpful when you run out or cannot find something - my daughter Jess called last night wanting to know how to make sour cream.

Chemicals aside, this builds upon a running conversation that Steve and I have been having about how as a society we've lost our capability to do for ourselves. We turn to 'store bought' because we don't know how to make things from scratch. Then we work extra hours to pay for the things we can no longer make ourselves.

Generations before us knew how to make 'stuff'. What would happen if people started making their own again?

I like the control of knowing what the ingredients are. If something nasty goes on or in me, I'd like it to be conscious choice. I also really like the flexibility of creating exactly what you want rather than buying and trying (and tossing) many products because they aren't quite right.

It's also often cheaper to make your own, requiring less time at work and keeping more of those 750,000 hours for yourself!

Sites that I love for 'How do I...' or 'How do I make...' questions are eHow and Instructables.

No comments:

Post a Comment